My name is Lizzie, I'm 10 years old and in the 4th grade.
I like origami and drawing, and littlest pet shop. I love Hello Kitty too.
I have 3 sisters and 2 brothers. My little sister Becca gets her finger poked sometimes to make sure her sugar level is ok. My mommy has some friends whose kids are sick with diabetes, and I wanted to do something to help, so my mommy and I came up with the Cranes 4 a Cure. I want to raise money for the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. My sister is lucky, she doesn't have diabetes, but a lot of kids do, and it isn't fair. Anyone can get juvenile diabetes, you don't have to have a family history. I think they need to find a cure fast so the kids who have it can be needle free, I don't like needles.

So I guess you want to know what Cranes 4 a Cure is.
It is said that anyone who folds a thousand origami cranes will be granted a wish. Sometimes relatives or friends fold the cranes for someone who has an illness in hopes for recovery or a long life.

My goal is to raise $1,000.00. For every dollar I raise, I am going to make an origami crane and put the name of the person who sent me that dollar on the wing. Then I am going to string all the cranes together and give it to the juvenile diabetes foundation with all the money I raise. Then my wish will be to find a cure. Please help me help those kids with this bad disease. My mommy says she will take a picture of every crane I make and post it here for everyone to see. For more information, please email my mommy, her name is Jenny. A dollar isn't a lot, but it can make a difference. I hope to get some pictures of kids you can help soon.
Thank you.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Cranes 36 - 40 and some information


Cranes 36, 37 and 38. I have to say something about each of these. Thank you Gisela, I love the paper you sent me. Dona, thank you so much for your donations. Each dollar brings me that much closer. And Tawnya...her crane is special. Tawnya's crane was made in her memory, she died late last year. I gave her crane a halo.

Cranes 39 and 40 are my nana Bonnie and papa Coleman. My papa has diabetes too. Thank you both and thank you for the paper. I like the shiny paper, but it is hard to work with.

And now some information on Juvenile Diabetes and why it is so important to find a cure.

Juvenile Diabetes or Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease in which the body's immune system attacks and destroys the insulin-producing cells of the pancreas. While its causes are not yet entirely understood, scientists believe that both genetic factors and environmental triggers are involved.

Affects Children and Adults
Type 1 diabetes strikes people at any age. It comes on suddenly, causes dependence on injected or pumped insulin for life, and carries the constant threat of devastating complications.

Needs Constant Attention
To stay alive, people with type 1 diabetes must take multiple insulin injections daily or continually infuse insulin through a pump. They must also test their blood sugar by pricking their fingers for blood six or more times a day. While trying to balance insulin doses with their food intake and daily activities, people with this form of diabetes still must always be prepared for serious hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) and hyperglycemic (high blood sugar) reactions, both of which can be life-limiting and life threatening.

Not Cured By Insulin
While insulin injections or infusions allow a person with type 1 to stay alive, they do not cure diabetes, nor do they necessarily prevent the possibility of the disease's devastating effects, which may include: kidney failure, blindness, nerve damage, amputations, heart attack, stroke, and pregnancy complications.

Difficult to Manage
Despite paying rigorous attention to maintaining a meal plan and exercise regimen and always injecting the proper amount of insulin, people with type 1 diabetes face many other factors that can adversely affect efforts to tightly control blood sugar levels. These factors include stress, hormonal changes, periods of growth, physical activity, medications, illness/infection, and fatigue.

Statistics

  • As many as three million Americans may have type 1 diabetes. 1
  • Each year, more than 15,000 children and 15,000 adults - approximately 80 people per day - are diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in the U.S.2

Warning Signs

Warning signs of type 1 diabetes may occur suddenly and include:

  • Extreme thirst
  • Frequent urination
  • Drowsiness or lethargy
  • Increased appetite
  • Sudden weight loss
  • Sudden vision changes
  • Sugar in the urine
  • Fruity odor on the breath
  • Heavy or labored breathing
  • Stupor or unconsciousness
my mommy helped me get that information, I don't know what a lot of it means, but I do know that it can kill. And you need needles daily...that can't be fun. Help me help them. Thank you!

Information can be found here

1 comment:

  1. Lizzy, I think what you are doing for your sister Becca is wonderful-keep up the good work.
    Love, Peggy (Nanbon's stitching friend)

    ReplyDelete